Monday 8 October 2012

From the Streets of Haddington to the Streets of London



I managed to return to work last week for a couple of days. The first day was a bit daunting with the thought of meeting some colleagues for the first time since Anne passed away. Everyone was extremely kind and thoughtful and made me feel as comfortable as possible.

After a hospital appointment on Thursday afternoon I headed for Haddington to see Joe and Sandy and Mum and Dad of course. 

On Friday morning Kate invited me to come along to Sandy's school where they had put together a display of Victorian artefacts. This was to show what the school could have been like when it was built in the reign of Queen Victoria. A nice new modern primary school  has been built to replace the existing schools in Haddington

One little boy approached me and asked me how old I was to which I answered "how old do you think I am"? "a hundred" he replied. The beard I had recently grown has now gone. 

After Sandy had very proudly showed off his part in the display I parted company and set of to do some more exploring of Haddington.


The old foot bridge over the River Tyne leading to the Nungate.



Commonwealth war graves

A variety of old buildings in the town





On Sunday we had a trip to Hopetoun Monument which offers stunning views the surrounding area.




The Kite Runners









After this wonderful display we headed for a look round the Sunday Market at East Fortune which is adjacent to the Museum of Flight and tucked into some nice greasy cheeseburgers.







When we returned home I reluctantly packed my bags and headed back to Langholm. In the recent events I struggle to think what I'd do without my family they are my reason for going on.

I'm writing this blog after spending a very pleasant evening with Ralph McTell at the Buccleuch Centre accompanied by Tootlepedal. The guitar playing was excellent as was the singing although some of the songs were rather melancholy for me but on the whole an excellent nights entertainment. 


1 comment: